Job Title: Domestic Assistant
Department: Domestic Services
Salary: £24,292 per annum
The RHN is a leading national centre of excellence, providing adult person-centred services that span the entire care pathway from post-acute rehabilitation services to end of life care, for people with complex Neuro-disability and their families, underpinned by a strong research and education programme.
The Domestic Services Department plays a vital role in support of the above by maintaining a pleasant, hygienic and comfortable environment for patients via the provision of high quality domestic services.
The department provides a cleaning service to wards, departments, communal areas and staff residences as well as providing an internal postal and a central wash up service. It employs approximately 45 members of staff through the combination of permanent, bank and agency domestic staff.
Additionally, a housekeeping service is provided at ward level via the employment of Ward Technicians who are responsible for the provision of food and beverage, kitchen hygiene and clean laundry distribution services.
Main Objectives of the role –
- To assist with maintaining a clean, safe and comfortable environment that ensures a positive experience for service users and reflects the values of the organisation.
- To assist with the delivery of a high standard and effective cleaning service and maintaining hygiene standards within wards and departments across the hospital.
- To work in accordance with the Hospital’s Infection Control policy and assist with the delivery of special (barrier) cleaning as required.
- To be responsible for the safe storage and maintenance of domestic services stock and supplies and to ensure that these are available within the designated area of work.
- Clean specific areas in line with training given and in accordance with approved methods, standards and frequencies.
- Work in accordance with the day to day tasks and activities, as delegated.
- Safely utilise mechanical and electrical cleaning equipment following appropriate training and to be responsible for cleaning domestic services equipment after use.
- Work to prevent the spread of infection by following RHN colour code systems.
- Ensure that cleaning cupboards are locked and secured every time they are not in use and to be responsible for the security of keys issued to these areas.
- Ensure compliance with mandatory training and attend other relevant training, as directed.
- Ensure compliance with relevant hospital policies and procedures.
- Report accidents and near misses or unsafe situations, so appropriate action can be taken.
- Treat patients, visitors and staff with dignity and respect.
- Undertake any other duties appropriate to the role / as requested by line management.
Person specification: Essential and Desirable
- Able to contribute to Domestic Service / organisational aims and objectives.
- Able to engage with the RHN IPR process that identifies own personal and development training needs.
- Able to conduct self in a professional manner towards all service users and management.
- Understand the importance of ensuring confidentiality at all times in accordance with data protection, Hospital policy and good practice.
- Be reliable, willing and conscientious and have the ability to work flexibly either individually or as part of a team.
- Be experienced in or able to demonstrate a good understanding of excellent customer service, together with good verbal communication and interpersonal skills.
- Be punctual / a good timekeeper.
- Be able to problem solve with support / use own initiative.
- Have the ability to be reflective and self-critical and be able to take constructive criticism positively.
- To be able to read and understand to the required standard.